0044 (0) 1753 299 456
Pallet2Ship® logo

General Information on Dispatching Goods within the EU (Part Four)

Posted on Monday, December 22nd by Pallet2ship logo

Most goods can be dispatched from the UK to states within the EU without being accompanied by export licences, permits or certificates. However, there are a few exceptions as well, chemicals and military goods being at the top of this restricted list. Food and agricultural products are included on it too. Therefore, their dispatch may require the intervention of the customs authorities operating in the country of destination.

It should be noted that it is always important that the customers know exactly how the dispatcher's business works before any agreements are signed. Businesses operating on the communications and media market, for instance, are subject to special sets of regulations. Such facts can be verified with the government departments in charge with trade licenses. Some common ones include:

- licences for dispatching cultural objects over 50 years old and exceeding the given financial limits, which can be obtained from the Export Licencing Unit of the Arts Council;
- licences for dispatching live animals and animal products from the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA), with health inspections also being required at times; licences for dispatching any endangered species and associated products from the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora;
- licences for dispatching ozone-depleting substances (ODS) from DEFRA;
- licences for dispatching medicines;
- licences for dispatching controlled drugs;
- licences for dispatching rough diamonds originating from a non-EU country and passing through the UK before reaching another EU state;
- licences for dispatching fish - European Community Catch Certificates and Re-export Certificates are required in such cases;
- licences for dispatching chemicals outside the EU - according to the REACH law, anyone manufacturing or importing more than 1 t of chemicals a year must sign up with the European Chemicals Agency and keep an evidence of all their chemicals at all times;
- licences for dispatching firearms in person - not required in the carrier has got a European Firearms Pass.

Dual-use and strategic military goods

Whether moved to an EU country or elsewhere, all military controlled items featured on the UK Military List and a selection of dual-use goods as listed in Annex IV of the EU Dual-Use List, both integrated within the UK Strategic Export Control Lists, require a licence. With some dual-use goods, this licence may only be required if they are dispatched outside the EU territory. The same laws apply to brokering of dual-use goods, shipping or warehousing included among others, as well as to transportation. They may also apply to brokering operations involving military goods.

With dual-use goods, it is their performance and technical details that determine whether they are controlled or not. This aspect must be made very clear by the commercial documentation provided for the completion of intra-community transfers, as exports to other countries within the EU are also known. The specific documentation to be provided will include existing sales contracts, order confirmations, dispatch notes and invoices, among others.

If you have any questions regarding our services, tracking your parcel or advice, we're here


Read more


General Information on Transport and Distribution (Part Five)

Read more


General Information on Transport and Distribution (Part Four)

Read more


Dispatching Goods within the European Union (Part Three)

Read more

©2007-2022 Pallet2Ship®

Pallet2Ship® uses cookies to improve your user experience. By continuing to use this site, you agree to accept our use of cookies as outlined in our privacy and cookie policies.

I Accept